Residential Honda generator offer a wide range of benefits from recreational uses to running vital medical equipment. Here is a list of safety tips to ensure that “stand-by” and portable generators deliver the best results possible:
* When attaching a generator directly to the electrical system of a home, business, warehouse, etc., make sure that the transfer switch is installed by an electrician. The transfer switch is used to start pulling power from the generator should the main source of power be interrupted.
* If electrical appliances are being plugged directly into the generator, use the generator manufacturer’s supplied cords or grounded extension cords. Inspect these cords to ensure that they aren’t frayed or damaged.
* Keep the generator dry by putting it in a housing or protecting it with a canopy.
Proper Ventilation for the Generator
* Never put a generator to use inside a home. Enclosed spaces such as garages, crawl spaces, and basements can capture harmful carbon monoxide gases.
* Do not stack items on top or directly next to a generator. Make sure to leave space on all sides of the generator for proper cooling and ventilation.
* When using a generator outdoors, position it so that is not near doors, windows, and/or vents. Placing a generator near these openings can allow exhaust into occupied spaces.
* Generators are combustion engines which get hot while in use and take time to cool down after being shut down. Keep generator fuels away from the engine.
* Shut down the generator before fueling to allow engine parts to cool.
* Never store or transport gasoline and other generator fuels in improvised containers such as plastic milk cartons. Use only approved fuel containers that are designed specifically for fuel storage and transportation.
* Store fuel containers away from appliances that produce flames like water heaters and the generator itself. Do not smoke around fuel containers and never smoke while refueling.
Tips to Control Noise and Vibration
* Build a housing for the generator. This will protect it from weather and muffle generator engine noise.
* To prevent hearing loss and fatigue caused by excessive generator noise, keep portable generators as far away as possible from areas where people are working, sitting or gathering.
These tips apply to both portable and stand-by generators. Regardless of the intended use, following these safety tips can ensure that a home or business generator delivers a great user experience every time it’s put into use.
HarborPowerHouse has a large selection of Honda generators, including eu2000i, eu3000 etc. For more information visit: Honda Generator